Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Trying to choose between motorcycles, possibly a Suzuki sv650, and could use some help?

I am trying to pull the trigger on my first motorcycle.


I just completed the Motorcycle training course, and my instructor mentioned the Suzuki sv650 as a strong first bike. Unless people have other ideas, i started to just search for that model.





There seems to be multiple models that I don't know the difference between.


There is a sv650s. There is a sv650sf. There is a sv650sf with ABS


Craigslist in St. Louis has 4 bikes. Years are 2002 thru 2004. All priced between 2,500 and 3,800





Found another 2008 sv650s with under 500 miles.


Small dent on gas hub and scratches on muffler.


Starting at 3,500 but not an accepting price


I assume between 4,000+ (not entirely sure)





Then I found a 2008 sv650 SF with ABS.


1,500 miles and asking 5,500


Perfect condition





Without knowing anymore than i do....is one of these better to zero in on?


For a beginner? For when I get more advanced? For the value of the bike?





I don't know if the "SF and ABS brakes" are much stronger features and worth extra dollars.


I'm sure braking is important, but have no idea whether ABS is a huge difference.





I obviously don't know how motivated either seller is....so helping me decide an offer for each person would be a big help.





Or if you have different offers based on scenarios for me to ask both buyers about....any background or details would help me soooo much.





At this point, I really don't know what questions to ask other that previous riding history, year make and model, accidents, or other inciddents, and that's about it.





This is a real help.


I am 35 and have struggled nearly 3 years now with a medical condition.


I lost everything and haven't worked in 18 months.


I am now in St. Louis after losing my place this past December in Chicago.


This chance to learn to ride could be a huge break at feeling normal again.


And though all my funds are pledged towards medical bills, I promised that I ould figure out a way to make this happen. SO you help is very important, and much appreciated.





Have an awesome holiday weekend and thanks again. jp|||I think the SV would make a great first bike. I really admire the elegant design of the engine, a 90 degree V-twin with counterbalancer, so you have the 'character' of a twin with more smoothness.





The second generation SV 650 goes from 2003 to present, so you want one made 2003 or later. Starting in 2007 they have dual spark, but I don't think that improves performance or anything, it's just for lower emissions.





They come in various styles--naked, with a little fairing, and the V-Strom which is an 'adventure tourer' that uses the same engine and lots of the same parts. Except for the V-Strom, all the SV 650s are very much alike, just different in certain details.





Go and look at a few of them and see what they look like for the price. For your first bike you don't want anything too new and shiny and expensive. You're likely to be hard on your first bike. You may very well drop it once or twice--just minor spills and parking-lot tipovers. You will very likely abuse the clutch before you get the hang of it. So you want a bike that's old enough to be depreciated but new enough that you can still get parts (which won't be a problem with any SV 650). After a year or so you can sell this 'old beater' for about what you paid for it, and by then you'll have a better idea what you really want.





Really 'clean' new-looking bikes are going to be more money. But you don't really care that much about appearance for a first bike. Just as long as it's reliable (meaning the bike has been well cared for, oil changed regularly, etc.





Different models of the SV are sold as 'standards' or 'sporty' (not dedicated sportbikes but on the sporty side). So they might have different seats, different handlebars. If you look at a few you'll see that you find some configurations more comfortable than others.





I know just what you mean about a motorcycle making you feel more 'normal'. I have diabetes and sometimes my feet get a little numb from poor circulation. I get on my 1978 BMW and the footpegs vibrate just enough to feel really good on my feet! 8^) Plus, riding a motorcycle makes me feel independent and capable. In the Summer I do camping weekends, all by myself, which I totally love, they are like the high point of my Summer.|||I think a SV650 would be a great bike for you!|||I'm getting my first motorcycle in less than a month. I can only relay some information handed to me by family members who are riders or others on the internet. I've come to the conclusion that a ninja 650R would be better. I went to both the kawasaki and suzuki sites and the ninja is listed as $300 cheaper than the suzuki. In my personal opinion, the ninja also looks better. I'm getting neither of these as my first though. I'm getting the ninja zx-6r, which is more expensive, but will be worth it because it's what I really want. I'd say look into the ninja 650r, but ultimately, go with your own research and knowledge. It would be a big mistake to let someone influence you too much. Good luck with your first motorcycle.|||Hi, you don't say what the medical condition is. Sv650 is a good choice, if you like V twins, they have different engine character to fours, more engine braking.


If you are strong and fit dump the ABS, if you have a weakness in your left arm or right leg using the brakes and feel you need ABS get one with ABS.|||I really like this bike. I don't see ABS as wanted or needed, but other people like it. Should be alot of bikes to choose from in your area. Check craigslist, your local paper's websites, and cycletrader.com. You will get a feel for what is a normal price and what looks like a real deal. Look at the owner as much as the bike. You want someone who seems like they take good care of their stuff and a bike that looks like it has been taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment