Saturday, December 10, 2011

How to lower shocks on a 1980 Suzuki GS 850 motorcycle?

I just bought a Suzuki GS850 Suzuki Motorcycle its just a little too high for me someone told me i could lower the rear shocks but i dont know how can someone tell me?|||Great choice in a motorcycle, but those old Suzuki standards are a bit tall! So, here are some things you can do.





1) Get a lower seat. The most famous brand known for lower seats is probably Corbin Saddles. I had one on my CB750K and it was a good 1" lower than stock. On the other hand, Corbins are notoriously firm (some, including me, would say "stiff"). I didn't like mine, but most people who get them swear by them.





2) If it was me, I'd call the good folks at Progressive Suspension and see what they could build for me based on my size, weight and bike. Yes you CAN get lower shocks in back and lower springs in front. The can also work with your local motorcycle shop to lower the front suspension by moving the forks in the triple clamps.





3) You could work with a local machine shop to design and build a lowering bracket. I seriously doubt you'll find one ready made for your cool, vintage GS850. There is a good chance those shocks can be mounted 1" higher without causing any problems.





Of course, all these options cost money, probably over $500. That's still WAY less than a new bike or a compromise bike you don't really enjoy.





There is a link below to an article on lower bikes from "Woman Riders Now." Women run into this problem all the time--even with cruisers--and they have some suggestions, and cautions, for making the bike fit the rider.





Remember, you only need to do three things when you ride: Relax, look where you want to go and keep riding the motorcycle.|||They made lowering blocks years ago that would move the lower shock mount back in turn would lower the rear of the bike,you may still be able to find a set on e bay or Craig's list, Check out a GS web site some of those guys may be able to help you. Or you could put a set of shorter shocks on it


and make sure you slide the fork tubes up in the clamps to lower the front


good luck.|||You can't really lower the shock, but you can soften the spring. Locate the two shocks and use a philip screw driver insert is into the lower part of the shock housing and turn it where the spring sit on it lowest point. This will soften the spring. The easiest option is to take your seat to the upholstery shop and have them shave the seat down.|||Like someone else said shave the seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment