Friday, December 16, 2011

Can a RMZ 250 Suzuki, Motorcycle be made road legal?

Hi


I own a rmz 250, im just basically wondering can it be made road legal? If it can would you have change the exhaust, lights etc. Could it be Insured, and taxed?|||Maybe in some states. You need a different electrical system and pipe for sure along with turn signals.|||I owned the RM version of your machine (no lights/different flywheel) so I know what is ahead of you to accomplish.





I personally street legalized a PE 175. I am now embarrassed that I actually owned one of these 'fine' machines, but I did in fact license, insure and drive it on state streets.





Here is how it is done:





First, you must know what is required out of the machine to make it street legal. That is turn signals, horn, mirrors, noise limiter, working brake light.





The turn signals is the easiest.....hand signals. You can learn those at any DMV. The horn must be audible from 50 feet (depends on state). Get a huge bicycle horn. The ones with the big rubber bubble on the end. You can hear this from at least 100 feet. You can go to the JC Whitney website and find numerous mirrors with handle bar mounts. You can stuff your silencer with silencer packing until it's quiet enough to pass the inspection or get another complete sound-dampening bolt-on.





What I did for the brake light took a little engineering, but I was 16 y/o at the time and pulled it off so you should be able to as well. I went to a junkyard that had a motorcycle section. I pulled a brake light off of an old moped. It actually looked pretty cool and came complete with license plate holder. I pulled the whole thing off including the switch and wiring. I hose clamped the switch to a downtube on my frame. I drilled a small hole in the proper place on my rear brake lever, and ran the hook end of the switch to it. I spliced into the already existing rear light power source and walla! ....a working brake light.





Now, here is a pointer. Your power source is your magneto with this machine, so your brake light will struggle at idle. When it came time for the inspection, I just revved the motor a bit while I hit the brakes and it was bright as can be.





The inspector asked the questions. Hit your horn...done. Give me your hand signals...done. Mirrors?....done. Hit your brakes...done. Sounds quiet enough to me, here's your license plate. Of course taxes are due according to state statute with the price of licensing. I just put liability insurance on it.





The only question mark for the inspector was the knobby tires. He didn't know for sure if that was legal. He asked one of his 'superiors' and I got a thumbs up though. Even though it wasn't for me, if that is a sticking point for you, just get enduro tires.





It was kind of a wierd thing to do all of this at the time, but I have to tell you I had an absolute blast driving that dirt bike in down town Denver! Riding wheelies at stop lights, blowing away cars that wanted to 'race'....yea right, like they were going to beat me in the first 100 yards!?!





Anway, good luck with your project. I hope you can pull it off!





JV|||not anymore, used to be able too, but I know that California has stopped doing that and the rest of the states follow California's lead

No comments:

Post a Comment